We invent the new to help the world move forward. Combining powerful analytics and deeper insights with bigger ideas and innovative solutions, we free up our clients’ potential, thereby fulfilling our own. Take it seriously. Make it fun. Know it matters.
At XL Catlin, Claims is thought of as the product we sell – the commitment to be there when our clients need us most. While fulfilling this commitment, we focus on effectiveness and efficiency, while delivering superior customer service. As part of the Claim Actuarial Team, this position broadly influences results and outcomes through use of data and analytics across a Global Claim portfolio of over 250,000 new claims each year, $8B of case reserves and $5B of annual paid loss and adjusting expense. This is accomplished through advancement of sophisticated Claim analytics supporting strategic decisions, design of key initiatives and the continuous improvement of operating results. In this role, you will report to the Head of Claim Analytics and work closely with the Global Claim CFO, the Claim Chief Actuary and other members of the Claim Leadership. You will also engage with a variety of other business functions such as Reserving, Pricing, Underwriting and Strategic Analytics.
This position will also have an opportunity to focus on key areas of Claim strategy, such as management of legal expense, large loss, third party administrator, loss recoveries and the performance of certain Business Products and Regions. This position will be looked to for thought leadership in developing new data and analytic capabilities, as well as translating data-driven insights into actionable recommendations that drive results.
What will your essential responsibilities include?
• Perform diagnostics, forecasting, predictive and prescriptive analytics with findings that directly influence business decisions.
• Research industry trends and influences, competitor actions and the enhanced use of both internal and external data, in order to continuously improve claim portfolio performance.
• Perform evaluations of organizational strategies and initiatives
• Analyze operating results and identify key performance drivers
• Contribute to the development and execution of a data strategy that supports analytics, including data infrastructure, analytic capabilities, data delivery and operational reporting
• Build advanced analytic tools in partnership with the Strategic Analytics team (decisions support, predictive and prescriptive models)
• Support of Pricing, Reserving, Underwriting and other business functions (partnership in analysis of results and trends)
You will report to the Head of Claims Analytics.
We’re looking for someone who has these abilities and skills:
• FCAS or ACAS with 7-10 years combined experience in pricing, reserving and other actuarial roles
• Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, with the ability to effectively resolve complex issues and deliver new analysis approaches from the ground up
• Strong leadership skills – strategic, operates from big picture point of view, influences organizational thinking
• History of building strong working relationships with business partners and influencing operating results through performance analysis and insights
• Self-starter and excellent problem solving skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Solid project management, organization, and planning skills with the ability to manage multiple projects effectively
• Experience in Large Accounts and Specialty Lines preferred
• Advanced skills with MS Excel and experience with SQL, VBA, SAS, R and/or other data analytic tools preferred
About XL Catlin
XL Group plc (NYSE:XL), through its subsidiaries and under the XL Catlin brand, is a global insurance and reinsurance company providing property, casualty, professional, specialty and alternative capital products to industrial, commercial and professional firms, insurance companies and other enterprises across the world.
From insurance to reinsurance, we’re shaking up an ancient industry. A changing world needs new answers. We’re here to find them. With an incredible blend of people, products, services and technology, we’re looking beyond traditional solutions to our clients’ risks — from the most familiar to the most complex.